Have you ever wondered if you have what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur? Or maybe you already have your own business, and you’re interested in getting to the next level of success?
Well, what I’m going to share with you is a blueprint for what makes the great entrepreneurs great.
So, are entrepreneurs made or born? There’s been a debate for decades as to whether entrepreneurs are self-made or come into this world already possessing their distinctive gifts. Can you can acquire the skills to be successful, or do you have to already have what it takes in your genes?
Frankly, it doesn’t matter, so there is no need to spend time trying to answer these questions.
In our multi-year research project on some of the world’s happiest and most successful entrepreneurs, my colleagues and I learned what they have in common. We determined that their ability to reach their goals and fill their days with passion and meaning isn’t based on where they’re from, how they grew up, or even what they’ve learned.
Rather, the ultra-successful live amazing lives because of their mindsets… how they think.
This means that your entrepreneurial success is about your mindset. Specifically, there are 7 Mindsets you can learn or refine that will make all the difference.
The 7 Essentials of the Entrepreneurial Mindset:
1. Passion First – It’s natural to choose a business to launch based on what the marketplace needs and the strengths you have to offer. However, entrepreneurs who live the Passion First mindset take a different approach—they seek to discover what really matters to them, what they’re passionate about, and then organize their business around those things. They understand that running a company can be filled with challenges, and the best way to stay engaged and persevere through tough spots is to choose a business that gives them a sense of meaning and purpose. That’s why they choose to start businesses based on their passions. Why we do what we do is so much more important than what we do and how we do it, and applying the Passion First mindset will help you figure out your why.
2. Everything is Possible – Entrepreneurs who embrace this mindset believe they are capable of achieving extraordinary results. They understand that everything that exists was once an idea until someone came along who believed it was possible and made it into a reality. Embracing this mindset means that you’re willing to let go of limiting thoughts, try new things, meet new people and stretch yourself beyond what you might have felt qualified or ready to do. Entrepreneurs can lean into this mindset by examining the goals they set and making them even bigger. Have higher expectations, and you will achieve more! This mindset doesn’t work by itself, though, as you’ll need to incorporate the others in order to fully realize your potential.
3. 100% Accountable – There will always be circumstances outside of your control, and it’s easy to blame others and make excuses for your situation in life. Even so, those who live the 100% Accountable mindset recognize that they have the power to choose how they react in any situation. No matter what, their own happiness and success is ultimately in their control. They are not victims of their past, their future is for them to choose, and their business is what they make of it. Applying this mindset helps you accept the idea that, although you can’t go back in time and create a new beginning, you can start today and shape a different ending.
4. We Are Connected – Many people cherish their independence and their ability to achieve goals alone. However, the ultra-successful take a different approach: they embrace the We Are Connected mindset, believing that if they can achieve their dreams alone, they’re not dreaming big enough. They lead by empowering others, helping them accomplish their tasks and realize their goals and dreams without seeking reciprocity. Activate this mindset by exploring synergies in all relationships, and relish competition that pushes you to maximize your potential. Recognize that the path to high achievement involves working with, for and through others.
5. Live to Give – We live in a charitable society, and many people volunteer their time and resources to help causes they support. As they earn more, they tend to give more. This is often referred to as giving back and having a sense of social responsibility. I’m not knocking this, but it’s important to point out that the ultra-successful do it differently. Embracing the Live to Give mindset, they seek ways to give first by integrating their day-to-day work with causes they believe in. They understand that abundance in life is a cycle, and to receive love, respect, and financial security, one must first learn to give those things. For them, it’s less about giving back and more about giving forward.
6. Attitude of Gratitude – Thanks to individuals like Oprah, most of us understand the importance of being grateful. Unfortunately, most people also focus much of their attention on what they don’t have, rather than on what they’ve accomplished and are presently experiencing. The world’s most successful entrepreneurs apply the Attitude of Gratitude mindset, which enables them to recognize the positives in all experiences, and to take time every day to be thankful for what they have. They also understand that challenging times and disappointing business circumstances often present opportunities to learn and grow, and so they embrace those as well.
7. The Time is Now – Perhaps you’ve heard the expression, “Good things come to those who wait.” Well, those who embrace The Time is Now mindset realize that all of their power exists in the moment. They cannot change the past and the future hasn’t happened, so the key is to take purposeful action in the present. Also, they don’t confuse being busy with being productive, and understanding the importance of acting with focus. Taking action always trumps waiting on the perfect plan, so they give it their best effort and adjust course as often as needed. To live this mindset means to enjoy the present and to take small, daily, purposeful steps towards your goals and dreams.
Learning these entrepreneurial mindsets can be eye-opening, but living them is life-changing. The mindsets I summarized above may seem like common sense, but they’re not common practice. Find ways to engage with and activate these success mindsets, and you can transform your business into something truly extraordinary!
Which mindset resonates with you today? Please share below in the comments.